Have you recently upgraded to a new computer and need to transfer your ProShow slideshows over? No problem! Follow the steps below to learn how to easily move your shows to a new computer.
You’ll learn how to:
- Collect Show Files
- Transfer Collected Show Files to a New Computer
- Install and Register ProShow
- Load Your Shows
Step 1: Collect Show Files
When we collect show files we are making a copy of all the content (image, video, audio) in the show from its original location and moving the copy to a specific folder that is easy to move around from one computer to the other. Collecting your show is the easiest way to make sure you have everything you need to successfully load your show on a new computer.
1. Open your show
2. Click on Tools
3. Choose Collect Show Files
4. Look for Copy to Folder – it’s on the right-hand side
5. Select Browse
6. Choose Desktop
7. Make a New Folder – name it something unique, like the name of your show
8. Click Ok
9. Click Collect – it’s on the bottom right-hand side
10. Wait for ProShow to collect the show; it will let you know when it’s finished.
For a video walk through on collecting show files and transferring content, click here.
Step 2: Transfer Collected Shows to a New Computer
Now that we have all shows collected, we are ready to transfer these shows to your USB flash or external hard drive. This is the bridge that we will use to move the content from the old computer to the new computer. The plan is to transfer all collected shows to the USB drive and then move the folders from the USB drive to your new computer’s hard drive for the final resting place.
1. Open up Windows Explorer and insert your USB flash or external hard drive. Make sure it appears in Windows Explorer before moving to step 2.
2. Double-click the USB drive to open the contents of this drive and leave this up on the screen.
3. Transfer the folder(s) with the collected show files from your Desktop to your USB drive by dragging and dropping the folders into the Explorer window. Wait for the content to finish copying before moving to step 4.
4. Now that all collect show files are on the USB drive, unplug this drive from your old computer and plug it into the new computer.
5. Open up Windows Explorer on your new computer and double-click the USB drive to open the contents of the drive.
6. Drag and drop the folders you moved from your old computer on the USB drive to the Desktop of your new computer. Wait for the content to finish copying before unplugging the USB drive from your new computer.
7. With all folders on your Desktop, you can now move them to their final resting place on your new computer. We recommend creating a folder in ‘Documents’ and calling the folder something like My ProShows.
Now all collected show files are on the hard drive of your new computer and we are ready to install ProShow.
Step 3: Install and Register ProShow on New Computer
If you haven’t already installed ProShow on your new computer, you will need to do so before you can open and load any of your shows. You can download the latest version of ProShow from here, or you can go to your products and download the latest version that you are entitled to use with your product registration key.
1. Choose Save when prompted to download. Most browsers today will automatically save the file to your ‘Downloads’ folder located under your profile in Windows.
2. Click the Save (or Open) button to begin the downloading process.
3. Wait for download to complete.
4. Start the installation by double clicking on the file you downloaded (the file name will look something like psgold_70_xxxx.exe or pspro_70_xxxx.exe).
5. When the installer appears on screen, click Next followed by Enter Registration to type in your name, phone and registration key for ProShow.
6. Now follow the on-screen instructions to complete the ProShow installation process.
Now that would be a good time to install all add-on packs that you own as well. To download your add-on packs go to your products and download the installation file for each pack. Make sure you gather the necessary product keys for each pack while you are on this screen. After installing your Add-on packs, move on to Step 4.
Step 4: Load Your Shows
The last thing we need to do is make sure the shows that we copied over to the new computer load into ProShow.
1. In ProShow, click Open and browse to the location where your collected shows are saved on your new computer.
2. Select the folder containing your collected show.
3. Select the <PSH> file from the folder and click Open.
4. Now ProShow will load the show into the timeline.
5. If you receive a Find Missing Files notice, go through the steps to locate the images in the collected show folder. For more info on missing files, click here.
6. Save the show after it loads into ProShow and then repeat this process for each additional show that you copied to the new computer.