An often over looked feature in ProShow Producer is the ability to use and create show templates. If slideshows are a part of your business, or if you find that you make the same kind of show again and again, this is a must-use option that will save you a ton of time.
So what exactly is a template? In Producer, a template is an almost complete slideshow. Music, slide styles, captions, transitions, custom motion and timing are all ready to go. The only thing you need to do is add your photos and video clips.
Making a Simple Template
Any show you make can quickly become a template.
- Open any show.
- In the menu bar at the very top, select File and choose Save as Template.
Before continuing, Producer let’s you know that you’re about to remove all of the visual content you’ve added to your show. This is normal. Each of your photos and videos will now be converted into placeholders. Any effects or customization you applied will stay the same. Only the photos will be removed.
- In the Save Show Template window, give your template a name and add a description.
Really helpful details you should consider including are: The number of slides, the number of audio tracks and length of the show. Also, leave yourself helpful tips, such as: “works well with landscape and portrait orientation” or “works best with darker images”.
Including Content in Templates
So what happens if you don’t want to replace all of your images? What if you want certain images to be included as a part of the template? For example:title page art, your logo, or an item crucial to the design of the template. No problem!
- In Slide Options, click the Layer Settings tab above the preview.
- Select the layer you want to include in the template.
- In the Layer Type area, uncheck the option for Replaceable layer.
That’s it! When you create your template, that layer will no longer be converted into an empty placeholder. Instead, it will remain exactly where it is, and will always be there each time you make a new show using this template.
Using Show Templates
When you launch Producer, typically the first thing you’ll see is the New Slide Show window. This is where you’ll go to access your templates. If Producer is already running, click the New icon in the toolbar to open this window.
Select the Template icon to browse through the available templates, and click the Open Template button when you find one you like.
Now all you have to do is add your photos and videos to the placeholders.
There are a couple of different ways to do this:
- Click on an image in the File List, and drag it to any slide, as you hover over a placeholder, you’ll see the outline of the placeholder turn yellow, and your selected image will fill that spot. Simply let go of the mouse to drop the image into place.
- You can also add multiple files all at once. Select a range of images in the File List, then right-click and choose Add Files to Placeholders. This will automatically fill open placeholders for you.
If you make slideshow for High School Seniors, Weddings or Memorial shows, give Templates a try. They’re easy to make, and a fantastic time saving option.